"Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file." ???"The file is damaged or is a format that cannot be included."???
If you have Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0 and bought a new camera like Sony A450, you must be facing the problem of opening your cmera files in Organizer as well as Editor.
Do you know why this happens?
Actually most of the camera manufacturer have their own proprietary file format as we have NEF for Nikon, CR2/CRw for Canon, SR2 for Sony etc. These manufacturers add another complicity when NEF of D200 is different that NEF of D90. Now Adobe has a plugin called "Adobe Camera Raw" which supports these file formats and provide flexibility to process/edit them.
Different versions of Adobe Camera Raw Plug-Ins support different Camera Models. Like, files of Canon 7D are supported in ACR5.6
To Understand more about it, refer : http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
Above mentioned link talks about which cameras are supported in latest version.
So if you have Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0 installed on your machine and trying to import/process files from latest cameras, you will not be able to do so.
For that you will have to update ACR Plug-In. Here are the steps you need to follow for this:
1. Close Elements Organizer and well as Editor.
2. Go to http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html and download latest Windows Plug-In
3. It will have Camera Raw.8bi file
4. Go to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 8\File Formats\"
5. One 'Camera Raw.8bi' file will lying on this location.
6. Rename this file and copy the downloaded file into this location.
7. Relaunch Organizer and import the files of your latest SLR
It should work. If its still not working, send a comment here...